Skip to main content

The US State Department Bureau of Consular Affairs working through US Embassies and Consulates around the world is your interface with the US Government when living abroad.

The Bureau sets guidelines and directs the Consulates for handling matters such as passport issuance and renewal, reports of births, deaths and marriages of US citizens, aiding destitute travelers, and issuing visas for foreign visitors to the US. To get an idea of the services offered by the Consulates, see this State Department webpage:

The State Department applies rules according to the laws enacted by the Congress. If you want the law changed for such things as citizenship for your children born abroad or taxation of US citizens living abroad you will have to ask your Member of Congress to join in with other Congressmen to initiate new legislation.