Help get H.R. 82 (eliminates the WEP for Social Security) to the House floor for a vote
- H.R. 82 obtained 300 Cosponsors to utilize the House Consensus Calendar process.
- A floor vote was stopped after the Ways and Means Committee held a markup on the bill on Tuesday, September 20, 2022, and reported it out of the Committee without recommendation.
- The Committee provided no alternative solution to provide a WEP/GPO fix. Procedurally, this markup prevents it from receiving a floor vote based on Consensus Calendar rules.
- On Monday September 19, 2022, H.Res 1367 was introduced for the purpose of filing a Discharge Petition.
- The resolution creates a special rule to trigger a vote on H.R. 82.
- This resolution will be eligible to file a discharge petition 7 legislative days from September 19, 2022.
- The petition will be eligible for Members to sign on September 30, 2022, assuming there are no changes to the legislative calendar.
- To receive a vote on the House Floor, the Discharge Petition must be signed by 218 Members of the House which will require bipartisan support.