Skip to main content

ACA believes that overseas American community should have more direct representation, particularly given the special issues they face, the growing complexities of the global markets and the role that Americans overseas play in the competitiveness of the United States.


ACA's Role in Representation

ACA’s headquartered offices are Washington, DC-based allowing the organization access to advocate directly with legislators on Capitol Hill on a regular basis.

ACA is ideally suited to the job because we are non-partisan and represent an independent voice on subjects affecting US citizens living and working abroad.ACA is respected in Congress for bringing solutions to problems that are in the best interests of the community without political bias. ACA has a dedicated presence in Washington, DC - a team of professionals available to the Congress and Adminnistration. We are literally an Uber ride away from key offices in Congress.

ACA educates Members and their staff on the issues affecting US citizens living and working abroad. ACA works with the members of the Americans Abroad Caucus, Co-chaired by Congresswoman Carolyn Maloney (D-NY) and until March of 2020 by Mark Meadows (R-NC).  ACA maintains ongoing contacts with key legislative offices such as the Joint Committee on Taxation (JCT), House Ways & Means Committee and, Senate Finance Committee, Government Accountability Office (GAO), Treasury and the IRS. These offices regularly reach out to ACA for input on the problems and concerns of the community of Americans overseas.  As part of our work, ACA partners with other associations such as the US Vote Foundation and works with other stakeholder organizations.  The US State Department estimates that there are 9 million US citizens living and working overseas (US State Department Chart of Statistics).


Representation through the Americans Abroad Caucus

The Americans Abroad Caucus.  was founded in 2007 in the House of Representatives, this Caucus counts about 18 members at present, representing many states and regions of the nation, from the West Coast, the Mid West, the South and the East Coast. The Caucus is co-chaired by Carolyn Maloney (D-NY) and until March of 2020 by Mark Meadows (R-NC). ACA maintains ongoing contact with the Caucus Co-chairs and updates the Caucus on issues affecting Americans living and working overseas. 

ACA is also helping Americans Abroad Caucus Co-Chair Carolyn Maloney to identify a Republican Co-Chair for the Caucus.  The Americans Abroad Caucus  is an informal group that brings together members of Congress who want to combine their political muscle to take action on a given issue. While caucuses do not receive funding, staff, or office space, this caucus can provide a valuable forum for overseas Americans to make their voices heard in Washington.  ACA members should write to their representative in Congress and ask them to join the Americans Abroad Caucus.



The National Taxpayer Advocate 

The National Taxpayer Advocate is Your Voice at the IRS.

The Taxpayer Advocate Service (TAS) is an independent organization within the Internal Revenue Service (IRS). Its job is to ensure that every taxpayer is treated fairly and that you know and understand your rights.  TAS has been vocal on the issues affecting American taxpayer living and working overseas.


How to interact with the US Government and your Representatives in Congress

The US State Department Bureau of Consular Affairs working through US Embassies and Consulates around the world is your interface with US Government services when living abroad.

The Bureau sets guidelines and directs the Consulates for handling matters such as passport issuance and renewal, reports of births, deaths and marriages of US citizens, aiding destitute travelers, and issuing visas for foreign visitors to the US. To get an idea of the services offered by the Consulates, see this State Department webpage:

If you want to contact your Member of Congress you can write to them directly or communicate to them via their individual website page.   Find out who represents you using Contacting the Congress or BeBusinessed. To send a message on a Representative's website you need to use your last known residential address (even if you no longer have any ties to that address) in your Representative's district/state.