Skip to main content

Your child is an American citizen if he or she was born in the USA.

Your child is also a citizen if he or she was born abroad and both parents are US citizens at least one of whom resided in the US or possession.

If only one parent is a US citizen, that parent must have been physically present in the US or possession at least five years prior to the child's birth, at least two of which were after the age of 14.

Different rules apply for children born out of wedlock or born before 1986.

For more information, contact your US consulate or ACA.

Provided here is a Table of Transmission Requirements for children born abroad to an American mother and/or father.


Last Updated August 6, 2012