Social Security Administration Notice Regarding Forms SSA-7161 and SSA-7162

On December 14, 2020, ACA issued an email with information regarding form SSA-7161 “Report to the United States Social Security Administration' and form SSA-7162 'Report to the United States Social Security Administration for for a child or an adult unable to handle funds.'

The SSA-7161, 'Report to the US Social Security Administration for individuals receiving benefits for a child or an adult unable to handle funds,' can be seen here: The SSA-7162 is sometimes informally called the 'proof of life' form however, the form itself is simply titled 'Report to the US Social Security Administration' (see:

Each year, beneficiaries outside of the U.S. are required to complete Form SSA-7161 or SSA-7162, Report to the United States Social Security Administration (also referred to as a Foreign Enforcement Questionnaire). The purpose of this form is to ensure that Social Security has the correct contact information for the beneficiary and that benefit eligibility continues. The form is mailed from the U.S. in May and a follow-up letter is mailed in September. Social Security notes that It is important that the forms are sent it back by regular postal mail using the enclosed return envelope provided by Social Security to insure continuation of benefits, see: 

As noted in our email of December 14, given the recent pandemic and disruptions in mail service, Social Security has suspended mailings of these forms but this will not affect receipt of Social Security benefits. See excerpt from the Social Security website posting here (reproduced below):

Notice Regarding Forms SSA-7161 and SSA-7162

Because of postal service interruptions around the world due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the Social Security Administration has suspended mailing these forms. SSA will not suspend your benefits if you have not completed and returned the forms in 2020. SSA will resume mailing the forms at a later date when conditions have changed.

ACA is providing this update as a service to members and supporters based on information we have received from our contacts at the Social Security Administration. However, if you have specific questions about these forms please contact the US Social Security Administration. Contact information can be found here: or by contacting your Federal Benefits Unit (FBU) at the US Embassy or Consulate closest to you. See: