US Citizens Overseas can now create Social Security Accounts online

US citizens living overseas can now create a personal my Social Security account and access many of our online services using their credential. 

With a my Social Security account, you can:

  • Check your earnings.
  • Get your benefit estimates.
  • Check the status of your application or appeal.
  • View, print, or save a benefit verification letter (Social Security is unable to mail to a foreign address).
  • Change Special Notice Options (SNO Notices).
  • Access some representative payee services.
  • View, Print, or save replacement SSA-1099/1042S tax statement (Social Security is unable to mail replacement statements to a foreign address).
  • Access online notices.
  • Request a replacement Medicare Card.

Until now, you needed a U.S. mailing address to access Social Security's my Social Security account and use the online services. Now, individuals without a U.S. mailing address can create a personal my Social Security account and use the online services with an credential. If you don't already have an credential: 

  1. Go to
  2. On the my Social Security page, select the 'Create an Account' button and then select 'Sign in with'
  3. Select the 'Create an account' link and follow the instructions.
  4. On's 'Verify Your Identity' screen, select the 'I don't live in the United States' link at the bottom of the page and follow the instructions to complete the registration- process.
  5. Once you create your credential, you will be returned to the my Social Security webpage for the next steps.

If you already have an credential, select 'Sign In' from the my Social Security page and then sign in to You will be redirected to your my Social Security account.

Note: If you had a my Social Security account prior to moving overseas, you will need to create an credential to use it from an international address.


For more information please visit the Office of Earnings and International Operations webpage.


U.S. Claims Court Allows Foreign Tax Credit on NII Tax

Posted by

November 08, 2023

Court Rules that Foreign Tax Credits can be used to offset the Net Investment Income Tax (NIIT)

Posted by

October 30, 2023

ACA submits commentary regarding the FinCEN Form 114, Foreign Bank Account Report (FBAR)

Posted by

September 30, 2023

ACA back to holding Town Hall Evenings in Switzerland

Posted by

August 24, 2023